Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Soft and Sweet, Strong and Steady

The song,"Honey Bee" by Blake Shelton had some lyrics that jumped out at me the other day:

"If you'll be my soft and sweet
I'll be your strong and steady
You'll be my glass of wine
I'll be your shot of whiskey
You'll be my sunny day
I'll be your shade tree
You'll be my honeysuckle
I'll be your honey bee"

I like how it implies that a woman must be soft and sweet in order for a man to be her strong and steady. It does not work they other way. Women are soft, pleasant, and dare I say submissive, and in return men are protectors, providers, a rock.  Nowadays men are expected to be strong and steady (where are all the good men?) without women holding up and maintaining their end of the bargain. Roles complement and intertwine.

4 comments:

Lori Alexander said...

I LOVE that song and I think you are absolutely correct in your assesment. As I have submitted to my husband and treated with respect, he has become the man I always dreamed he would be!

CL said...

Indeed. As I pointed out wherever it was, women are addressed first in Ephesians 5 and told to submit. Now obviously a woman can't submit to a marshmallow, so discernment is required to find a man capable of being "strong and steady", but you won't find that out if you don't trust first!

And darn y'all (7man, I'm looking at you!) for getting me to enjoy some country music beyond Hank Williams!

Svar said...

Heh. This is the guy married to Miranda Lambert(who strikes me as a bit of a feminist).

I found this song to be a bit corny, but it does have a good meaning.

The Cottage Child said...

I hate this song - well, no, I love the lyrics (and agree with your assessment lgr.) It would be styled better as either corn pone old fashioned or death metal. It grates as it is. The entirety of Nashville has been hit on the head - have they forgotten the early eighties hangover consequences? We're y'all even born then?